Saturday, September 22, 2012

Danny's Review on Firelight

Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 326
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Series: Firelight #1
The Other Books: Vanish, Hidden
Challenge: 2012 TBR Reading Pile Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki, a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
The cover is really beautiful. I love seeing what Jacinda might look like when she is about to manifest. The shimmering gold is really eye-catching.
He lifts a hand. I don’t even flinch as he closes a broad, warm palm over my arm. Feeling, testing. His touch glides downward, and I’m sure he’s comparing my skin–draki skin–to human skin. His palm stops, flattens over the back of my hand, rests over my long, talonlike fingers. Heat zings through me at the contact.

He feels it, too. His eyes widen. A lovely hazel. Green with flecks of brown and gold. The colors I love. The colors of the earth. That gaze drifts over the wet snarls of my hair brushing the rock floor. I catch myself wishing he could see the girl within the dragon.
This book was kind of in the middle for me. I just read Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, and loved it! It also had dragons that can transform into humans. One of my friends suggested reading Firelight series, because the series has dragons in it as well. However, this book is more of a paranormal romance then fantasy.

I think I was mostly interested in finding out more about the draki. There were parts where I liked the romance and swoon over it. Nevertheless, I am a fantasy fan at heart, so I wanted more of an adventure. I can see that I might be getting more of this from the next book, Vanish.

This book had a lot of . . . circles I guess you can say. We would move forward on one thing and then take two steps back. Jacinda couldn’t make up her mind. I can see why this book could be such a turn off for some people. No one wants the plot to be stuck in repetition.

I understand her choices were hard ones to make because she was worried about her draki disappearing. She didn’t want to live in a desert area, where her draki side would slowly die. She couldn’t believe or understand why her mom wanted to kill an important side of her. She couldn’t get close to Will, because he is a hunter, even though he brings out her draki.

In all honesty, I can understand why her mom wanted to Jacinda to leave her draki past behind. She wanted to protect her family and she also went through the transition from draki to human. She became human to be with her other daughter, Jacinda’s twin, Tamra. Tamra has never felt welcomed in the pride because she never manifested into dragon. She was human to them. Tamra and her mom both didn't want to be in the pride anymore.

In this first book, we pretty much are stuck with all of these indecisive decisions of a teenager. First couple of chapters pulls you in, and it kind of dwindles from there. What kept me reading was me wanting to learn more about Jacinda’s pride, the dragons, and of course, the romance.

I am excited to continue on with the next one. I also heard the third book of the series is the best, so can’t  wait to get into Hidden.
Next book in the series is Vanish. You can find out more about this book HERE. From the summary, it looks like we will get more actiony type things going on. Also, I am curious to know who the girl is on this cover.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, Firelight was kind of middle ground for me. I read it a good while back, and I still haven't been interested in reading its sequel. I will one day, but I am in no hurry. I have Seraphina sitting on my shelf, and I can't wait to get to it. Anyway, I just wanted to send a recommendation your way if you are looking for a great YA series about dragons with great focus on dragons, and awesome lore. The Dragon Diaries trilogy by Deborah Cooke. Book 1 is Flying Blind, Book 2 is Winging It and Book 3 is Blazing the Trail. Truly a fantastic series. I loved it from the first page in book 1 to the last page in book 3. I hope you will check it out.

    ReplyDelete