Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Emilia's Review on Outpost

Outpost
Author: Ann Aguirre (@MsAnnAguirre)
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Format: ARC
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher
Rating: Escapable
Series: Razorland #2
The Other Books: Enclave, Horde
Challenge: Sophomore Reading Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Deuce’s whole world has changed. Down below, she was considered an adult. Now, topside in a town called Salvation, she’s a brat in need of training in the eyes of the townsfolk. She doesn’t fit in with the other girls: Deuce only knows how to fight.

To make matters worse, her Hunter partner, Fade, keeps Deuce at a distance. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.

Deuce signs up to serve in the summer patrols—those who make sure the planters can work the fields without danger. It should be routine, but things have been changing on the surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks have grown smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning. The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it may take a girl like Deuce to turn back the tide.
I love how the covers show you kind of where the books are taking place. On the first book, I didn't notice the hand reaching out. On this book, I can see it more clearly. It's so creepy seeing that eye on the cover, because I know what it means. The Freaks are watching the humans.
Salvation had saved me, but its protection came with restrictions. Its rules didn’t permit me to be myself. Yet I’d been part of a community that needed me once. Maybe I would be again.

Someday. Somehow.
After reading Enclave, I was excited to get on with the next book. From where the characters ended on the last book, I knew things were going to change. Like I said on the first book, I usually don’t like reading books about zombies. In this book, we face an even bigger threat. Smart zombies.

One thing you should know is. . .I would have never picked up this series, and stuck with it, if it weren’t for the characters. 

After being in the wild, and learning how to survive, Deuce is finally safe. Yet, she feels confined in a prison. In Salvation, only the men are consider strong enough to stand guard against Freaks or Muties. Deuce is starting to feel left out and thinks her abilities could be use somewhere other than inside the home or in school. She wants to be able to fight with the others and protect everyone. She learned how to fight her whole life, and you just can’t take that away.

She finally gets her chance, when the Freaks make a surprise attack. Freaks/Muties are becoming more then what they seem. They aren’t beasts anymore. You will be surprise what you learn about them and how they may not be zombies after all. These new Freaks have the smarts on attacking Salvation. They strategize attacks, cutting Salvation’s resources. Deuce thinks that this is more, then a meal, to them. This is war. Thrills and chills, man, thrills and chills.

One thing I really love was more character growth between the characters. In the first book, there was so much action! In this book, the characters are what keep you in the story. You know them from the first book, but you get a deeper understanding about them. Deuce is learning all of these new things and emotions, that she didn’t know when she was just a Huntress.

Deuce is conflicted because Fade is ignoring her. He thinks she is with Stalker, but what she really wants, is Fade. She sees Stalker as a friend and a skilled fighter. With Fade, there are some deep emotions between those two. Ah, I love all the moments between them.

You can’t even guess how many times I held my breath, because even I don’t know. The last time I felt this much worry and pressure for a character, was in The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda. I kept telling myself that the main character has to survive or the book would have ended already. When it did end, I found myself with all this built up thoughts. I need to know what's going to happen next.
Horde, the third and final book in the series, will be out sometime in 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this series. The characters are very well done and I totally held my breath many, many times as well :) Great review glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete