Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Emilia's Review on What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me
Author: Kat Zhang (@KatZhang)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Format: E-galley
Pages: 356
Source: Publisher
Rating: Escapable
Series: The Hybrid Chronicles #1
The Other Books:
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Goodreads, Amazon
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable–hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet…for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
I am in love with this cover. I think the cover matches the two souls in one body idea. Addie is the main body, but Eva is there, lingering, watching, and waiting.
I was terrified. I was eleven years old, and though I’d been told my entire short life that it was only natural for the recessive soul to fade away, I didn’t want to go. I wanted twenty thousand more sunrises, three thousand more hot summer days at the pool. I wanted to know what it was like to have a first kiss. The other recessives were lucky to have disappeared at four or five. They knew less.

Maybe that’s why things turned out the way they did. I wanted life too badly. I refused to let go. I didn’t completely fade away.
To me, the beginning was a slow start. Every person born is born with two souls. Two souls, one body. But one soul is supposed to fade away when they are a child. Sometimes, the soul doesn’t want to leave. Addie is the dominant soul of the body. She has to make everyone believe she has settled, and Eva disappeared. Eva is still here though. She never left.

I am torn between simply liking this book and loving it. I think the reason is because I wanted to know more about the Great Wars, the Hybrids, and the government. You get details here and there but not enough to satisfy you. I liked how Kat Zhang stuck to her main characters thoughts about Hybrids and how Addie/Eva didn’t really want to talk about it because they are one. I think that’s why readers don’t get much information about Hybrids. Eva didn’t want to think Hybrids as bad people, because that means she might be bad.

I could see why, where Eva live, people didn’t like Hybrids. Hybrids are different and to have two souls in one body, can be difficult. Like Addie and Eva, they had moments were they fought. And when Addie couldn’t concentrate on what’s going on the outside, things happen. Hybrids are unpredictable which makes them dangerous.

Yet that was the only problem I found. The writing, on the other hand, was brilliant.

When I first heard about this book, I thought Addie would be the main character since she’s the dominant soul. Nope. Instead, readers get Eva’s perspective, which to me was more heartbreaking. Eva is pretty much a ghost stuck in a body. All she has is her thoughts which she can only share with Addie. And that could be pretty lonely, especially when they fight. With some help from some friends, Eva is slowly learning how to get her control back. It is such a great moment to be there for Eva’s firsts. Her first words, her first time opening her eyes, and there were just so many more moments like this, and you are in awe.

It was just so different to read from this perspective, it made the story so much more intriguing.

Then someone discovers their friend Hally/Lissa, who are also a hybrid, and see the connection between them and Addie/Eva. They are discovered. That’s when everything starts to really happen. That’s all I can say because it will ruin the story. Oh, but there is also a slow romance growing. 

Overall thoughts: The book was amazing and unforgettable. It did have a slow start but it picks up after awhile. I think the author did wonderful job writing from a different perspective. The characters, and there were many, weren’t hard to identify. There were some surprises because being a hybrid, you have two different people talking or controlling the body.

And in the end, I kind of wish I was a Hybrid. You see how close Addie and Eva are and you kind of want another soul as well. Always there with you, through it all.
This is just the first book in the Hybrid Chronicles. No news on the sequel's title, cover, or release date.

1 comment:

  1. LOve the cover. Have never read this, but it is one my wish list:)

    ReplyDelete