Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ivy's Review on Ten

Ten
Author: Gretchen McNeil (@GretchenMcNeil)
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Format: ARC
Pages: 304
Source: Publisher
Rating: Reachable
Challenge: 2012 Sophomore Reading Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Facebook, Army of Ten
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?
I love the font on this cover. It is really eye-catching. Then the taglines at the bottom, make you know that this is a thriller and gets you really excited to read the book.
The number “10” appeared on the screen. It was animated as if it had been written by hand, and then a red slash crossed right through it. “9” and “8” were drawn and slashed through in the same manner, then three images of a beach at night cycled through in rapid succession, all different locations, it seemed, but all with a prominent starry sky and waves breaking across an expanse of sand.

The numbers started again: “7,” “6,” “5,” all with the same red slash marks crossing them out as if they were being counted down. Then more images. This time it was a collage of students in class–taking a test, arguing in some sort of mock trial, doing science experiments, running around a track, glee club.

“4,” “3,” “2,” “1.”
Possess, Gretchen’s first novel, was one of my favorites last year. I read it sometime in October, and couldn’t get over everything that happened in that book. Then, I hear about Ten. Its a thriller and a mystery! And pretty much just everything I want in a book. It even sounded exciting.

“Ten people. Three days. One killer.” I could hear the chilly music playing already.

When I requested this book from the publisher, and actually got a copy, I squealed. I was so excited to start this book. Unfortunately, I am sad to say, that I didn’t love this book as much as I did her first book.

From the beginning of the book, I felt disconnected to the characters. This has never happened to me before so, I just kept on reading. The book did get better as the suspense started to build up. That’s what I love about this book. The suspense. Not the characters.

In Ten, the story starts off with two best friends heading off to an island for a party. Turns out the host of this party hasn’t been able to make it, leaving ten guests on the island by themselves. The thing that got me a little bit disconnected from the characters, because I didn’t believe in the main character Meg’s, and her friendship with Minnie.

Meg was pretty much the mom in this friendship. She was always worrying over Minnie, and Minnie just got on my nerves. I couldn’t take it. Then we meet some of the other characters, and ugh, I just couldn’t connect with any of them, except the killer. Ha, this might say a lot about me, but I pinky swear, I am not crazy. Then the deaths start to began and the book started to get way better.

On a good note, though, I did love the suspense in the novel. Gretchen did have me going in circles on which person was the killer. Finally when the killer is revealed, I actually applaud Gretchen for this. Because I did not see that coming!

So the characters were blah, but the suspense was well done. So, while I didn’t love this book, I did like it. If you like good thrilling novels, you will enjoy this one. And you can be like my brother, who said, “Who cares about the characters anyways? They are all going to die in the end.”.

P.S. The trailer is the video the teens see before the killing starts to happen. Love that!
Gretchen has three upcoming books. 3:59 is pitched as The Parent Trap meets Event Horizon and is planned for a 2013 release. Then a new series titled Don't Get Mad series, with the first book Get Even coming out sometime in 2014. It is pitched as Revenge meets The Breakfast Club. Also, there is a book summary on Goodreads, already, and you can check it out HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment