Thursday, October 18, 2012

Blog Tour: Sarah's Review on Sprite

Sprite
Author: Leigh Michael (@LMichaelBooks)
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: April 30, 2012
Format: Kindle
Pages: 152
Source: Author/Blog Tour
Rating: Escapable
Series: Annabelle's Story #1
The Other Books: Kin
Challenge: None
Extras:
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Annabelle Walsh thought she had it all. She was the star of her swim team, had a loving family, a great boyfriend, and to top it off, she’d be starting at UCLA in the fall. One day, she’d be referred to as Dr. Annabelle Walsh.

She was living every girl’s dream – until her life was turned upside down. All starting with finding out that she's not just a human, but also a water spirit. Half-human, half-sprite to be exact. Although not just any sprite, Annabelle is prophesied to be the only one who can save both the sprites and mankind.

With a mix of current events, anecdotes from Greek mythology, tidbits of folklore, and Leigh’s own imagination, we join Annabelle in her journey to restore order beneath the sea. Each step of the way her mind, body, and soul are pushed to the limit begging the question, how much can one half-human, half-sprite take?
Love how simple, yet beautiful, this cover is. I love how you are able to see the color of the girl's eyes. There is a little mystery to this cover, because you are curious to know what the girl is staring at.
Then the strangest thing happened. The dolphin grabbed the netting and led me–further out to sea. It all happened so quickly. I was out another ten maybe twenty yards from the shore without the ability to do anything to stop it.

I barely took a breath of air, and then the dolphin pulled me under.
I have been reading a lot of different types of fantastic mermaid books and Sprite is one of my favorites. Even though, this isn’t a mermaid book. The main character is a sprite. This would be a first for me, and I really love how Leigh Michael tells the story in a fast paced story, with amazing character point of view. Annabelle is such a funny character, it’s hard not to like her.

Annabelle’s life was good. She is an amazing swimmer, she has a great family, she worked her hardest in high school, and soon she will be going to UCLA. And not alone, she even has a boyfriend who will be there along with her. Her life was just about to get even better.

Then, things spin out of control. Annabelle is kidnapped, thrown into the ocean, drowned by a dolphin, and then saved by a merman. If that wasn’t crazy enough, she finds out that she’s not all human.

Like I said before, this story was really quick-paced and hard not to enjoy. You get thrown right into action. In most fantasy books, the character slowly learns clues to what she is. In this book, Annabelle is told what she is right away. Which I loved, because Leigh brought many Greek mythical creatures into it and I love meeting and learning about them

With not that many pages in the book, I felt some things were sped up. I wanted to know more about some characters and the world Annabelle gets thrown into.

This book has fast paced action, a great heroine, and an amazing new world and creatures. The way this book ended, I am really excited to get into the second book. 
Kin is the second book in Annabelle's Story. I don't want to give too much info about what I think is going to happen or what happen in the first book. No spoilers. You can, however, find out more on the book's Goodreads page or author's website.

Also check out the rest of the blog tour |HERE|.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, there's so many parts of this review that make me so happy. Thank you for taking the time to read Sprite.

    I think you'll find that Kin builds upon the secondary characters some more. You'll have to let me know what you think after you read it :)

    ReplyDelete