Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Authors of Ghost Stories

Since it's October, I thought I pick a paranormal creature to go along with this week's topic. Which is actually about Favorite Authors on a X genre. I picked "Ghosts" as my genre for the week, because I hardly hear anything about a really good ghost story. So here are a few I chose and I am sure the others will approve of. I'm pretty sure there are a few books that I missed.
It took me awhile to find this book on Goodreads but I finally did. I read this back in middle school and fell in love with the many ghosts in this book. I was in the library just looking at random books and saw the cover of this one. The ghost's odd looks caught my attention. This book isn't just about one type of ghost, like Casper the friendly ghost. This book has many different types of ghosts, who all have different types of talents or jobs they do in our world. I love this so much, and will most likely pick up this book again, and probably this month.

Truth be told, this is the only book I ever read by Lauren Oliver. I really need to read her YA books, though. Po is our ghost in this book and he helps Liesl on a big adventure. This book was just beyond amazing and can't wait to read her other middle grade book, the Spindlers.

If you haven't pick up this book yet, you really should. The story is just simply fun but the really great thing about these books, are the details in the hardcover editions.
4. Hereafter by Tara Hudson
I didn't think love could exist after death but Tara has changed my mind. I picked up this book after readin Sarah's review on it. And she agrees, this is one of her favorite ghost stories ever. It's touching and yet dark at the same time, and Arise, the sequel, gets even darker. I love Amelia and love how Tara can write from a ghost perspective when it comes to love.

Come on, it's Neal Shusterman! If you haven't read anything by him, you are truly missing out. This book in particular is about kids who don't move on to the afterlife. They are actually stuck in between, in a place called Everlost. The two main characters were such fun to read about and if I died, I kind of want to go to Everlost then somewhere else.

This one I am actually starting right now, but it's really good so far. It's about a girl who was murder, and is getting revenge on her murderer by haunting him. Velveteen kicks a**. I'm not that far in the book but I can already tell that I like her.
If you haven't read Anna yet, this is the perfect time to pick it up. I actually see a lot of people picking this one up during the month of October. While most people hear it's a really scary story, well that's not the full truth. Yes, there are some scary parts but most of it's not too bad. What really drawed me to the story was the main character and his infatuation with Anna, a murderous ghost. Yeah, it's weird.

A popular girl dead and doesn't know where to go. And a loner, who can see, hear, and touch ghost, trying to hide his secret. You know these two are bound to mix up, but it so much better when you read about it. Especially, if you read the entire series.

I am also just starting this one, but so far it's really interesting. The main character can see ghosts and helps them move on. I also see this love triangle going but too bad one of the guys is dead. I am really curious to see how the series continues on like this.

A really touching, dark story. Our main character doesn't even know she's talking to ghosts and you know before her. Elizabeth twisted a very mysterious, murder tale into a very heartbreaking story. Once you read it, you can't stop thinking about it. Well, at least I can't.

12 comments:

  1. There is a definite lack of attention for ghost stories, that's for sure. Loved your list—lots of excellent reads on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I would love more ghost stories! More scary ones like Anna.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I LOVE your list! It is possibly my favorite this week! I'm so glad to see Neal Shusterman and Kendare Blake! <3 them both!

    Check out my Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors HERE!

    Also, I have a FANTASTIC giveaway of a SIGNED copy Lauren Oliver's new book, THE SPINDLERS, going on HERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love Neal Shusterman and I really need to read the second book in the Anna series. And of course, I will check out your giveaway for The Spindlers :).

      Delete
  3. I love that you included The Ghost and the Goth! I'm not much of a YA reader, but that was so fun. I was disappointed toward the end, though, when it became clear it would be a series. I wanted a more final ending - must everyone write series??

    Fun list! I'll see what I have of these at the HS library. We always need ghost stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah true. I just recently looked on Goodreads searching from old books I read when I was in middle grade and early high school. To my surprise, I found out that some of them are in series.

      Delete
  4. Awesome list. I haven't read many ghost stories at all - only Anna (& 77 Shadow Street) recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 77 Shadow Street seems like it's a really good thriller! I will definitely check that one out.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I haven't read ANY of these books! Haha. But I've read other books by most of these authors here. Lol. Great list! :D

    Here's my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, most of these books I read just this year or I'm currently reading them right now.

      Delete
  6. I'm not usually into scary ghostly types of books but my opinion was totally changed upon reading "The Brown House" by Christy Sloat, I reeeally really loved it. It has the right mix of ghostly goings on, mystery, suspense, sadness and a little romance thrown in too. I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a great list! Liesl & Po is adorable. And I really want to read Anna dressed in blood.

    TTT fairytales authors @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete