Saturday, November 10, 2012

Emilia's Review on All These Things I've Done

All These Things I've Done
Author: Gabrielle Zevin (@gabriellezevin)
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 354
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Birthright #1
The Other Books: Because It Is My Blood
Challenge: None
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Goodreads, Amazon
In 2083, chocolate and coffee are illegal, paper is hard to find, water is carefully rationed, and New York City is rife with crime and poverty. And yet, for Anya Balanchine, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the city's most notorious (and dead) crime boss, life is fairly routine. It consists of going to school, taking care of her siblings and her dying grandmother, trying to avoid falling in love with the new assistant D.A.'s son, and avoiding her loser ex-boyfriend. That is until her ex is accidently poisoned by the chocolate her family manufactures and the police think she's to blame. Suddenly, Anya finds herself thrust unwillingly into the spotlight--at school, in the news, and most importantly, within her mafia family.

Engrossing and suspenseful, All These Things I've Done is an utterly unique, unputdownable read that blends both the familiar and the fantastic.
I love this cover more than the paperback one. In the book, Anya has wild hair not straight, cropped hair. Also, I feel like the chocolate represents Anya. She has a hard exterior but it slowly melts away with Win.
Although I doubt this had been Mrs. Cobrawick's point, I did learn something about insanity while I was down there. People go crazy, not because they are crazy, but because it's the best available option at the time. In a way, it would have been easier to lose my mind because then I wouldn't have had to be there anymore.
This is another book that I put off reading too long. I got an ARC of this book last year in July. I been wanted to read it ever since. Then the publishers sent me a paperback copy of this one and an ARC of the sequel. It was even more reason to read this book, and yet I still put it off. Shame on me.

This is what I call a contemporary-dystopian. It has a lot of drama like a contemporary, but its setting is 2083. Chocolate and caffeine are illegal, water is precious, and crime is up. Anya’s family is known as criminals, thieves, and even, murderers. She doesn’t  want anything to do with any of it. Her parents were killed because of the family business, and she wants to stay of it. She makes sure to keep her brother and sister out of it as well.

However, you can’t run away from your past. Everyone knows who her father was and who her family is and they know how powerful they can be. Nobody messes with a Balanchine.

What I love about Anya’s character is how protective and strong she was for her family. She tried to be the protector of her small family and didn’t try to seek help from others. Her grandmother is there to watch over them, but she is dying. Her older brother isn’t all there, and everyone knows he won’t be able to watch over Anya and Natty. So, Anya takes on all the responsibilities of taking care of all of them.

While Anya is smart, she still made mistakes. Sometimes it was hard to see how hard her life really is. There more challenges that came her way, the more I was afraid for her and her family. I can feel how much they mean to her.

There are a few things that made her happy. Her family, her friend Scarlet, and now, her new boyfriend Win. Ah, how I love Win! He was such a good guy and it’s hard not to love him. Damn you Anya for so many secrets. If I was with him, I wouldn’t be able to keep a secret. However, I am not a skilled liar.

Towards the ending, it was starting to slow down. Because of this, I knew something big was going to happen. And it did. Now, I’m glad I have the sequel with me because I need to continue on to see what happens.
Like I said, I not a big fan of the new covers. However, on the sequel, Anya does go to Japan and this cover does an awesome job representing that. Unfortunately, the model doesn't look like Anya.

I am beyond excited to continue on with the series, and can't wait to get more of Win. But by the book summary, it's not looking good for our couple Anya and Win.

5 comments:

  1. Figurines from the bride and groom utilizing the chair is
    various. You can go in for a vintage wedding cake design.

    Who doesn't what their cake pretty and eat it too.

    Here is my website - http://www.cakedecoratingtrends.com/ideas/look/55/weddingcaketoppers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on
    the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking
    about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something informative to read?


    Stop by my page: where to buy quantrim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely
    loved every little bit of it. I have you book-marked to check out new things
    you post…

    Here is my web blog; wiki.gultgu.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day very nice website!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .
    . I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?
    I am glad to seek out so many helpful information here in the post, we want work out
    extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .

    Feel free to surf to my site quantrim discount codes

    ReplyDelete
  5. You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be actually one thing that I think I'd by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I'm having a look
    ahead on your subsequent post, I will attempt to get the hold of
    it!

    my homepage: how often should I take quantrim ()

    ReplyDelete