Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Emilia's Review on Renegade

Renegade
Author: J. A. Souders (@JASouders)
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: November 13, 2012
Format: E-galley
Pages: 368
Source: Netgalley
Rating: Escapable!
Series: The Elysium Chronicles #1
The Other Books:
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Goodreads, Amazon
Since the age of three, sixteen-year-old Evelyn Winters has been trained to be Daughter of the People in the underwater utopia known as Elysium. Selected from hundreds of children for her ideal genes, all her life she’s thought that everything was perfect; her world. Her people. The Law.

But when Gavin Hunter, a Surface Dweller, accidentally stumbles into their secluded little world, she’s forced to come to a startling realization: everything she knows is a lie.

Her memories have been altered.

Her mind and body aren’t under her own control.

And the person she knows as Mother is a monster.

Together with Gavin she plans her escape, only to learn that her own mind is a ticking time bomb... and Mother has one last secret that will destroy them all.
Beautiful and haunting. This cover just fits perfectly with the story. If you look closely, you can see that window is showing you that the girl is actually in an underwater society. I didn't notice it at first but ah, I love it.
The Surface could never compare. Not that I’ve ever seen the Surface. It is forbidden, even for me.

Which is fine. My life is just about perfect.
My mind is totally blown away. I literally can’t say enough on how awesome and thrilling this book was. This is definitely one of my favorites of 2012. Might even be number 1, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The year isn’t over, and there are still lots of books coming out. But still, it might just stay in that spot.

I have to say Souders did make a very gutsy move. Making this girl repeat how she starts her days and repeat some of her words, it could have gotten very boring. Or confusing. However, I think she did an outstanding job because it made the story very unique. Holy crap did this story have so many twists and turns.

I think what made me love this book so much, is because I really didn’t know what it was about. I didn’t read any reviews or watch any video reviews. I requested the book because I knew it was science fiction and well hello, the very awesome cover.

Let’s discuss about Evelyn. I have to say I was a little confused on who she was. Her mind is controlled and when her Mother doesn’t approve of something, she erases Evie’s mind. So, we don’t actually know who Evie really is. This gives us a lot of mystery. However, you do see Evie is trustworthy and kind. She doesn’t see the bad in people. She also is smart girl, if only her memories weren’t getting erased.

Then there’s Gavin. I love the reactions between him and Evie. I couldn’t get enough of them. Even when things are starting to get darker, he still brightens it up. Trust me, if you read the book, you will know what I mean about that.

As for Mother, the governor of this utopia, she controls everything. I mean everything! She is completely insane.

As for plot, the story gets darker and more menacing with each page turn. You really won’t expect everything that is coming. And, I’m not going to spoil it for you. This is a MUST read for anyone. 

Ah! The ending! It leaves off on a satisfied note, but I still want more. Glad this book is the first in a series. 
Recently released. No news on sequel.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I also loved Renegade, and I can't wait for the sequel! <3

    - Kazhy @ My Library in the Making

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete