Thursday, November 8, 2012

Emilia's Review on Struck

Struck
Author: Jennifer Bosworth (@JennBosworth)
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 373
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Struck #1
The Other Books:
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Trailer, Facebook
Seek: Goodreads, Amazon
Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.
When I first saw this cover, I couldn't stop staring at it. If you actually zoom in on the girl, you can see her scars from being struck by lightening. How awesome is that!? It also looks like the girl is about to embrace something and from the epic storm, you have to think that it's going to be big.
I tore my eyes from the massing storm and saw him. Jeremy. Standing near the edge of the roof, shaking his head.

"It doesn't have to be like this," he said.

"But it does," I told him. "This is who I am. This is what I'm supposed to do."

"You can change it."
Ah, there is just so many things I want to say about this book! Struck was such a wonderful, thrilling read! I couldn’t even pull myself away from the book. Yup, that’s right, I stayed up all night reading this book. The reason I waited so long to read this book, was because, I read a couple reviews on it. Some people either really love the book or just liked it. Now I know, that I need to wait until after I read a book, to check out other reviews.

The book was cut into four parts. The first three parts are days before the storm, while the fourth part is the storm. When I was going through the book, and found this out, I was little worried. Usually having that many pages for just one day, the author makes the details really long and boring. Jennifer didn’t do this for Struck.

In the first part, I was really curious about everything. We know some things before Mia does, so I was excited to see when she catches up on some things. Also, I really wanted to know who these groups were that wanted Mia. We have Seekers who are people that are searching to build their group with people who have the Spark. Then, we have the Prophet and his Followers. The Prophet predicts an earthquake and now, everyone is starting to believe everything he says. He is super creepy.

The second part, I hated it. I was bored but I’m glad I didn’t give up on it. I don't want to get into too much detail because of spoilers.

The third part got my excitement all over again. I keep guessing things before Mia does but I was still curious to see how things go down. Jeremy! I am in love with this guy even if he has so many secrets. 

The fourth part….holy moly. Don’t even get me started! Awesome and heartbreaking.

Overall, really great story, world-building, and characters. I know this was a quick review, but I just can't put everything I thought about this book into words. If you are looking for a science fiction thriller, then you need to read this! Don't wait too long, like I did. I am really curious on what the sequel will bring.
No news yet. It's killing me to know that there's still no news on what the sequel is about.

1 comment:

  1. I had a lot of fun with this book! Coincidentally, I read it during a lightning storm which was beyond cool. Glad you enjoyed it- and I'm also very curious about the sequel, the ending was killer.

    ReplyDelete